CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 05-13-2002, 10:23 AM
Anonymous

Default Ceanothus Concha Help!

Hello All!

I've just come indoors from overseeing how mynatives were doing in this 90 degree heat!

I noticed that my 30' Concha, that was doing sowell on Friday, has replaced its dark green leavesfor many not-so-good-looking yellow ones. They falloff at a touch!

What happened in just 3 days? What must I do?

AlainSunset # 19
Old 05-14-2002, 12:57 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Ceanothus Concha Help!

Alain,

How old is your C. 'Concha'? Sounds like it's going into its 2nd season if it is only thirty inches tall. Perhaps this winters lack of rainfall has made for overly dry soil/plant. Possibly the spring's cool temps have masked any dry symptoms untill now. Have you been making up the difference for the lack of winter rains? My thought is that it may be stressed due to lack of water! Yes, I know they are supposed to do well regardless of conditions but that is not true. Winter rains or your hose during those cool times of the year are needed to recharge the moisture content in the soil and the plant. Watering now could be a problem with temps so high, but I would shade the plant stop some of the evaporation of moisture through the leaf surfaces and cool the roots until the heat drops a bit. Then a deep soak. Repeat. Remember this plant does not have the extensive root system that will allow it to make it through drough as well as a mature plant. If the weather looks like it will be staying hot then you MAY have little choice but to soak it at night when temps are cool. With Ceanothus 'Concha' i have had little trouble with root rot.

Well, thats my 2 cents.Good luck-Dan </p>
Old 05-14-2002, 02:38 PM
Anonymous

Alain,

I wanted to second Dan's advice. They are dropping leaves in response to heat stress often this accompanies the end of their bloom cycle, and as long as you wait for cooler soil to douse it, it should be ok. Also, putting 6-12' boulders right at the base of the plant helps keep roots cool and moderate stress. Hope this helps.</p>
Old 05-17-2002, 09:14 AM
Anonymous

Hi Dan,

Yes, the tree is just a pup. I bought it last October at the CNPS sale in Balboa Park. Yes, I have been makingup for the drastic shortfall in rainfall this year. I'vewatered it every time it failed the 'finger in thesoil' test. I have a 2 1/2 gallon jug with a 1/4'plastic hose connected to it. I fill the plasticjug and 'drip' the water to the plant; takes abouta half an hour to do. I was under the impression thatit was better to drip than to drench.

As of today, the temperature has moderated greatly.

The Concha is still blooming! It receives about 8hours of sun per day; it is in sand/decomposedgranite soil.

Many thanks for everyone's advise!

Alain</p>