CNPS Forums  

Go Back   CNPS Forums > CNPS Public Forums > Growing Natives Discussion Forum

Old 08-25-2000, 11:29 AM
Anonymous

Default Plant recommendations for tidal influx area (SF Bay)?

I'm putting together a landscape design for a site in San Josenear where a creek enters the bay zoning-wise, it's considered a'tidal influx' area rather than 'riparian'. The site sits atop abank and has apparently been plowed for years--there are no existingplants on the site, while the bank is home to willows and cattails.It's near the local landfill and not far from a group of sludgeponds oh joy.

Because the site is near a creek, I need to be especially carefulin choosing well-behaved plants that fit the site and won't causetrouble later. I'd love to use natives, but I am open to non-invasivenon-natives possibly natives to other Mediterranean climate areas.Due to the neighbors ! I'd love to find some fragrant plants to helpcounteract the existing occasional odors. As this will be a commercialsite--one part will be an office, I believe, and retail buildings willbe built close by--I'd like to provide an outdoor oasis for peopleworking there--a picnic area, perhaps.

Does anyone have any suggestions for trees, shrubs and/or perennialsto plant in this site?

Thanks for any help you can offer.Cheryl</p>
Old 08-28-2000, 01:41 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Plant recommendations for tidal influx area (SF Bay)?

Cheryl -I will pass your e-mail on to a freind of mine who lives down there. She is well versed in native plantology. Ben</p>
Old 08-29-2000, 09:24 AM
Anonymous

Default Re: Plant recommendations for tidal influx area (SF Bay)?

Thanks, Ben! I appreciate the help. I'd like to dothe right thing for the site's environment.

Cheryl</p>